Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Oh there is no place like a mission for the holidays November 30,2015

Literally this has been such an interesting and a spiritually packed
week!

First off I am so excited for Amber and JT I was so excited when
I got an email on Thanksgiving! I am so excited to be an uncle!
OK, so we had some pretty amazing experiences this week! I went on
exchanges in Eggert Buffalo this week and I had many interesting and
new experiences while I was there.

One -- I road my first subway! 
That was so cool! I felt like I was in a movie. We also had a cop pull up to
us and asked us what we were doing?   We just told him "oh we're
missionaries and we are going around talking to people about Jesus!"
The cop said, "Are you serious" we were like "yup" and he said "OK be
careful"! :)  haha it was awesome!

I also got a foot massage from one of their investigators! That was interesting. 
But my feet felt heavenly afterwards.:) It was a fun exchange!

On Tuesday morning at our UB booth, there were not as many
people as there are normally in the student union building because most
people had left for Thanksgiving break. However, there were still a good amount of
people. The cool thing was that we got to give out 5 Book of Mormons
in just the 2 hours we were there. The cool miracle was  a
girl walked up to me and said that she wanted to learn want we were
all about, and when that happened I just didn't know what to say at
first because normally we try to talk to people and get them
interested, but when their interested I was at a loss for words -- at first.  
Then I got to testifying of the restoration! We gave her a Book of
Mormon! We set up an appointment with her for the next day but she had to cancel 
so we met with her on Thanksgiving.  Meeting with her was probably one of 
the most spiritual lessons I have ever had on the mission. She 
is from Spain and we meet her at the UB booth, and she couldn't go
home for Thanksgiving, and I felt so sad for her. We brought with us a
pumpkin pie so she could have a taste of Thanksgiving. She was talking
to us about how the past few months have been really difficult for
her.  She has a roommate who is from India and they are both on the UB
tennis team.  The roommate came down and she at first wasn't going to stay but we
offered her some pie and then she sat and listened in on the lesson,
which was awesome. The lesson was kind of all over the place but as we
taught them the spirit came and was so strong, She looked so
peaceful and happy and told us how this was the first time in three
months that she felt peace!  Her roommate told us she was Hindu but she
told us how she felt like her faith was strengthened by our discussion.  We gave her 3
Nephi 11 to read. She said she would read it. When we talked about God and
Jesus Christ being separate beings she said she always believed that.  
Then we talked about prayer about how it is more of a conversation
with God and she said that is what she does. She is just incredible,
we invited her to pray at the end, and she offered such an amazing
prayer! And when we asked her when she would like us to meet with her
again she said tomorrow!  She is so Awesome!  As we were driving away
both Elder Tomlinson and I were on a spiritual high!

During  that lesson on Thanksgiving I realized just how
grateful I am to be a missionary and sharing this message. It was a
simple Thanksgiving but it has probably been one of my favorites I
have ever had.   Mosiah 2:17 is so true! When we are in the service of
your fellow beings we are only in the service of our God! I know that
is true! I know this gospel is real!  And it truly can bring happiness
into our lives!

So many great things are happening! I love this area so much! I
really hope you all had a wonderful Thanks giving!

Love,
Elder Todd Houghton

PS. I don't know about you guys but the weather here has been pretty
nice here in Buffalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment