Sunday, July 17, 2016

Oh How Lovely Was the Morning May 2nd 2016

Greetings from the East!

I hope everyone is all doing well! School is almost out and summer
break is almost here! Woot woot! For those of you with work. Just keep
on keeping on, you will have nice warmer weather to work in! :) That
is what I am very excited for!


We had a good week here in the semi- beautiful city of Rochester. New York.
Monday night we went to the a Book of Mormon publication site for FHE
to celebrate the 186th anniversary of the publication of the Book of
Mormon. They had senior couples and missionaries dress up as people
from that time period and gave the tour! It was packed that night with
many people and tons of missionaries! Haha It was really was a fun
night!


We also went up to the Hill Cumorah with Tandra this week, we went
into the movie theater and watched the classic 20 minute restoration
video. When we got there there were no sisters at the front so we took Tandra
and started the video by ourselves. We were site Elders for
the day! I love that video of the restoration, and have seen it many
times. This time, I will be honest, I was kind of zoned out but right
at the scene of the First Vision I was drawn back in and a sweet
feeling came over me that it was true! I was grateful for that! Then
we went straight to the Sacred Grove where it happened.

It was a beautiful spring day and we got to walk through the grove
when everything is just starting to become green. It is what I imagine
it  looked like when Joseph walked through. Before we left the grove
we stopped and gave Tandra the opportunity to pray  by herself and to
ask for herself about the things that had been taught to her. She
later told us that while she prayed she started to cry and that
she had never cried when she prayed before. We asked if she felt like she was
ready to be baptized and she said she was! It sure was a wonderful
experience! So we had her baptismal interview on Saturday! She passed
and will be baptized next Saturday! I am so super excited for her! :)


I again am amazed at the variety of things we can do on a
mission. Before I came out I imagined doing almost the same things
everyday, we wake up, get ready, study, get out the door and teach
people about the restored gospel and have occasional service
opportunities. However, I didn't realize how many variations could go
into that. We were meeting with a really nice guy and setting goals
and making plans to help him overcome his addiction to alcohol We saw
him over three times this week, trying to help him. It wasn't
something I thought I would do much of but it is definitely a part.


I am reminded of how grateful I am for the freedom that the gospel of Jesus
Christ brought into my life.  I am thankful for the  teachings of Prophets
that have helped me avoid substance or situations that might tie me
down and hold me back. And I am also grateful for Jesus Christ's
Atonement which allows us to repent and be forgiven. I know this man
we have been meeting with can be forgiven and can be freed from these
Bonds. It's just sad because it is definitely not easy but I know it
is possible.


I hope you all have a most wonderful week and are able to see the many
things that your doing to lift those around you!
I am very grateful for this gospel! What a great work we get to be apart of!
Love you all so very much! Also I just remembered next week is
Mother's Day!!!!!! :) if possible I would to Skype with you around

4 pm your time! If there are problems with that time just let me know!
I can't wait to see you!
Elder Todd Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment